Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Feel of an Earthquake on Mid-western Feet

I knew that moving to Southern California might allow me to be in an earthquake. Today we felt a “good” one. I am typing away in my office when I feel the concrete under my desk start shaking my whole office. I run out of my office and around the house to check on Martha and the kids. Aidan is calmly watching PBS kids on television and he says “Mom, why is everything shaking?” Martha and I are calm on the surface only, but go back to business as usual.

The last earthquake I did not feel, but Martha did. I was shaving and I heard Martha yell. I run out to see her and Hope in the doorway. “Did you feel THAT?” Martha asks. I did not so she tells me to look out the window and look at the swinging planter.

Now back in the mid-west there are tornado’s, but there is usually a warning (and a place to hide). I am starting to think I don’t mind snow and wind.

No comments: